Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Snow-flaky Day

It’s a snow-flaky day around here. I guess that’s better than a regular ol’ flaky day! It’s certainly much prettier. Witness these snowy tapestries from the Sanctum, some captured today, some on other wintry days.

The view from my laundry room. If I hafta work in there, at least I have something nice to look at!

The back yard on a hazy morning.

White pine, paper birch, and silver poplar on the same sunny-hazy day.

This photo hardly does justice to the interplay of textures on the paper birch, Austrian pine, and blue spruce.

We optimistically planted this tiny Norway spruce to help divert the strong winds that traced this pattern. Some day...

The curve of the crab apple's snow-laden branches is nicely echoed by the weigela and cotoneaster below it.


“Nature has undoubtedly mastered the art of winter gardening and even the most experienced gardener can learn from the unrestrained beauty around them.”
—Vincent A. Simeone, Wonders of the Winter Landscape: Shrubs and Trees to Brighten the Cold-Weather Garden


That's the view from my corner of the world today. I hope you can find time to enjoy the beauty around you today, too.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Donna

    Winter eh, It's not untill it snows that there's anything good about it! Well that's my opinion. Nice pics. I really like the pics of the icy part- drained reservoir in your earlier post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful shots....makes me cold and looking for a hat and gloves

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rob--
    I have to agree with you about winter-I'm not really a fan of the cold, lifeless months either. Glad you liked the reservoir pics. I'm hoping to improve my photo skills over time. :) I took a quick peek at your site and am hoping to spend more time there soon. I enjoy getting a glimpse of gardens in other corners of the world. Stay warm!

    Mr. Compost (I wish I had a real name for you!:)--
    Thanks for the compliment on the photos--sorry they made you cold, but of course that's why I took some of them from inside where it's nice and warm! I'm hoping my photography skills will some day come near yours as exhibited on your blog. Talk about beautiful! And the text is a delight as well. (I can relate to the snake story, especially. I hate snakes!) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna,
    My favorite blogs are like yours, where I can go and see pretty photos and just relax:) I agree with the winter descriptions...it's prettier with snow. We have NONE yet, here in Northern VA. I don't envy you the IL cold, but do agree it will be more fun doing your laundry with some white stuff to look out to:)
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jan--
    Glad you had a relaxing visit! There's not much relaxing around here today. I just shoveled a few inches of the white stuff off the driveway, and there's another 2-4 inches coming tonight! Want me to send you some? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like so much snow, it's just a pitty that we don't have here in this colossal proportions. even if this year had snow a lot in highlands of north portugal...
    i really love the sunny mornings like that, and you can not imagine how tired i am of summer beach days! ;P

    ReplyDelete
  7. What I wouldn't give right now for one of your summer beach days! And I'd be happy to send you some of our snow if I could figure out how to pack it into an email! :) Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by the Suburban Sanctum! I hope you've enjoyed your visit and will come again soon. I'd love to hear any comments you have before you go, and promise to respond as soon as I can. Thanks!